5 Fun Ways to Recycle
November 19, 2015 tantone2015
- Use citrus peels to freshen your kitchen. In a saucepan, place orange or lemon peels and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Bring to a low simmer on your stovetop and enjoy the aroma! (Careful to turn it off before the water is evaporated!)
- Swap out one meaty dinner for one veggie dinner each week. According to the Environmental Defense Fund, every swap of a meat-based meal for a veggie-based meal equates to removing 500,000 cars from US highways. Here are some great (simple) recipes to get you started: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/type/vegetarian/
- Save for a vacation! Be thrifty; buy from a thrift store. Second-hand doesn’t mean second-rate. Toys, roller blades, video games, books, kids’ clothes…you can find these “recycled” items for pennies on the dollar and many times, they are just like new! With as fast as kids outgrow toys and clothes, it just makes more sense to look for “gently used” items. Every time you buy from a thrift store, put that savings in a jar (or savings account) and save up for a family vacation.
- Get the kids involved! Make some music with these DIY recycled musical instruments: http://www.diyinspired.com/diy-musical-instruments-for-kids/. Or plant an herb garden using a 2-liter soda bottle with the top cut off. Just fill with soil and herb seeds, water gently, cover in plastic and wait for the spouts to appear.
- Glam up your fridge with jewelry magnets! Dig through your jewelry box or treasure hunt in a thrift store to find cute brooches, earrings or pendants. Simply remove the hardware from the back and affix a super-strong magnet to the back with heavy-duty glue (Superglue or a small bead of Gorilla glue). Let dry overnight and voila! You have a fancy magnet to hold kid drawings or your weekly grocery list!
Categories: Recycling and Conservation
Sign up for our e-Newsletter
- Goodbye Winter, Hello Spring! February 13, 2018
- Tantone is Shredding into Summer for Our Customers June 27, 2016
- Tantone Dedicates Memorial Garden to Honor Falecia Pfister May 22, 2016
- Spring Cleaning Quick Tips March 24, 2016